Limes & Lemons have a long history of healing properties that make them inexpensive “must-haves” for every home. Limes seem to be stronger if you have the choice, but lemons are a close second not to be underestimated. (When using the peel too, it is best to stick with organic or pesticide free homegrown.)
Below are properties that are tried and true. I will be posting more information about these qualities in the future:
1. Anti-bacterial-for cutting boards and other surfaces where citrus is safe to use. (Also for use on foods like fish and meat.)
2. Antacid- The PH neutralizing effect of lemons and limes is one of their most powerful qualities. For heartburn, squeeze the juice of a whole lemon in a 1/2 glass of water and drink. You will have instant relief w/o side effects. This is also good upon waking before drinking anything else if you have an ulcer you want to heal. (Of course, other dietary regimens are necessary as well.)
3. Deoderant– Cut a lime in half and use under arms to prevent body odor and/or to neutralize bacteria under arms. This is VERY effective, but will stain light colored clothing if used too much. Much better and cheaper than chemical deoderants. (Lime does NOT prevent wetness).
4. Mosquito Repellent- Squeeze the juice of a lime onto your exposed skin and spread it. (However, do NOT rub the skin of the lime onto the skin as it will darken it temporarily, especially on the areas of a mosquito bite. It is the oil of the lime skin that causes pigmentation.) This is very effective to repel mosquitos (as well as avoiding sweet beverages, sweet foods and heavy carbohydrate consumption).
5. Cold Prevention & Remedy– See this previous post (Mother-in-Law Remedy)
The Powerful Mother-In-Law Remedy
6. Female Friend- For women who are prone to yeast infections & vaginal odor, balancing PH with lemon water and the reduction of sugars & carbos will help prevent a yeast infection if you can attack it with early symptoms (which includes alcohol). Again, this is an extremely effective and inexpensive preventive compared to expensive doctor appointments, medication, and over the counter products. Odor & infection indicate the presence of bacteria. Lemon & lime balance PH so bacteria can’t thrive. Bacteria love sugar & carbs which turn into sugar.
Please contribute your ideas and experiences on the healing properties of lime and lemon so other readers can benefit!